Monday, September 5, 2011

Weekend back in Boston

Part of my plan to move to NYC included returning to Boston on the weekends to do gigs I have previously booked. This weekend was my first jaunt back to beantown.

I drove up on Saturday morning. I left Queens around 7am as I had to be at my studio in Winchester to teach a lesson at noon and I wanted some time to chill beforehand. I figured the chances of hitting traffic that early in the morning were slim.

Wrong.

Just as I got into Westchester the highway turned into a parking lot. Took 30 minutes to get through it, and there was no apparent cause. Traffic jams with no obvious reason are the worst!!

I managed to average 80-85mph for the rest of the drive so despite the mysterious traffic jam I still made it to my studio at around 11:30. Taught the lesson and then enjoyed a nice long 4-hour practice session. I hadn't played in nearly a week so it felt great to sink my teeth into my regular regimen.

Saturday night I visited my friends Louis and Jannine. I've known them for around 10 years and they're like family to me. They have two beautiful daughters whom I've watched grow up. It's been nice as I've lived vicariously through their child-bearing experiences and I get a bit of the 'family' experience while remaining single and childless (which is on purpose).

Sunday I chilled out with my friend Kathryn (whom is so generously offering her couch to me during my weekend visits to Boston) and her little terrier Body. The hectic and logistically nightmarish lifestyle I've created could not be possible without amazing friends like Kathryn, and while I know she'll never read this blog (she's too busy), I have to send her much love and thanks for everything she's doing for me.

Sunday night I had a gig with my GB band Freestyle at the Museum of Science in Cambridge. I've been working with that band for 7 years now and I consider all of the band members dear friends. I know the remaining gigs I have with this band may well be my last so I'm trying to cherish the times I spend with these truly amazing musicians and human beings while they last. It's rare to get 9 people together and make great music night after night without tons of drama and bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment