Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Long weekend in Boston

So I'm back in NYC after a long weekend in Boston. It was very calming...just what I needed. It seems NYC isn't so good for my anxiety issues....

I took the train this time, and holy shit is it ever luxurious after all of my previous bus experiences. I caught the 8:30a.m. train out of Penn Station. Super-easy to get there, the train was on-time, and I sat alone. What's not to love?? The seats are as big as a first-class seat on a plane, as is the leg room, and the ride is smooth and relaxing. The wifi even worked the whole time...how amazing!! I was able to listen to an entire broadcast of Coast To Coast AM with Art Bell using my new iPhone, although I ended up falling dead asleep soon after the train pulled out of the station.

Ahhh...this was indeed the best way to travel!! It's worth every penny.

I got off the train at Back Bay station and started to walk along the platform when I realized I had left my leather jacket on the luggage rack. SHIT! I thought maybe I'd have time to run back and retrieve it but the doors to the train started to close. I saw the conductor standing in one of said doors so I ran over and told him what had happened. The train suddenly started moving and he said there was nothing I could do but he'd find the jacket and leave it at the lost and found over at the South Station stop.

That's what I call customer service.

So I walked over to Kenmore Square, got the bus to Brighton, retrieved my car, and drove down to South Station. I walked over to the Amtrak lost and found area, was greeted by a very nice woman, and she happily went out back and retrieved my jacket. Phew!

Had this happened on a motherfucking bus, I'd have NEVER seen that jacket ever again.

So props to Amtrak, the ride was on time, smooth, easy, and the customer service was excellent.

The rest of the weekend was enjoyable. Saturday I had a gig in downtown Boston. Aly's brother Doug came by to check it out and then we went back to Wrentham where his parents' neighbors were having a birthday party. We hung out until some of the rich kids in attendance ruined it. I hung out for the rest of the weekend in Wrentham with Aly's family at they're fantastically relaxing home on Lake Pearl.

Aly came into town on Monday. I took her out and gave her a lesson on driving a stickshift. If we're going to drive cross-country together she's gonna have to do some of the driving! She did a very good job and managed to not fry my clutch.

We returned to NYC this morning. I made the executive decision to drive back and I'm glad I did; it was quick, painless, and traffic free.

Coming up next week we travel to Maine (my last time seeing my hometown before I head west). Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment