Saturday, October 29, 2011

Cali Trip Day 3

I had horrible nightmares last night involving people breaking into my car and stealing what I'd left in it: my drumset hardware case, my cymbals, and my Ludwig Black Beauty Snaredrum.

Thankfully this didn't happen. I mean, shit, we WERE at a Super 8 Hotel in the middle of nowhere Tennessee.

We got back on the road at around 10. It was still raining but it was supposed to clear up. Aly threw in the next CD for the book-on-tape we're trying to get through. However, it wouldn't play. My CD player had been giving me problems recently but I always managed to get it to work. This time, no dice.

I decided to make some calls and try to get it replaced once we got to Nashville. We can't do the rest of this trip without a properly functioning stereo, and I was going to have to install a bluetooth-ready system once we got to L.A. anyways (California is a hands-free state). I asked Aly to grab my iPhone and google car audio installers in Nashville. She found one that came highly recommended so I called them up but the woman who answered sounded like she was still in bed. I hung up, but they quickly called back. This time a dude with a VERY twangy southern accent was on the other end and I chatted with him about our situation. Unfortunately he hadn't worked on many Acuras and wasn't sure if he could do the job. I needed to get this done fast and properly, so this guy wasn't going to cut it.

I decided to call Best Buy. I don't normally give the large corporation-type stores my business but I really couldn't afford to screw around with this. They told me they could get it taken care of, no problem.

The remainder of the drive was gorgeous. The skies cleared and we drove through rolling hills covered in peak foliage. It reminded me of the western mountains of Maine. For the first time of this trip my mind was clear and I could truly enjoy the moment. I looked over to see Aly curled up in a cute little ball of redhead, napping innocently. The weather was gorgeous, the traffic light, and my iPhone was playing Frank Zappa. Life was good.

Once we got to Nashville I drove straight to the Best Buy, chose a stereo, and dropped off my car to have them install it. In the meantime my long lost friend Cathy and her partner Mary met us for lunch.

After lunch I retrieved my car and followed Cathy and Mary back to their house. We drove through one of the most beautiful neighborhoods I've ever seen. Mansions with huge front yards and old maple trees were everywhere. Also, the foliage down here is in full force, so everything is particularly beautiful.

We parked my car, piled into Cathy's, and drove all around Nashville. I have to say this place isn't at all what I expected. It's modern, hip, clean, accessible, progressive, and still retains a community feel. I really really dig this place!!

After stopping for ice cream we headed back to their house for dinner. Aly and I were knackered so we just chilled out. Cathy and I reminisced about our college days and Aly snuggled up with their huge and incredibly friendly Doberman named Zoro.

Great day/night. The car situation was solved without a hitch and it has been wonderful seeing Cathy (it's been 12 years).

I am truly blessed to have such amazing people in my life. I don't think I could be out here doing what I'm doing without them. All of my family and friends, from Maine to California, are simply incredible people and I love them all dearly.

I dedicate this trip to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment