Monday, November 28, 2011

Starting Over Isn't Easy

It's been 3 weeks since we arrived here in Los Angeles to start our new lives. There was a lot of logistical stuff to take care of - registering the car, changing addresses, purchasing furniture, finding insurance, joining the gym, etc. etc. etc. That stuff was done a while ago...over the past few weeks we've spent most of our time doing one thing - looking for work.

Aly's made excellent progress. She bought a car, got a part in an indy film and was a featured audience member on a daytime show called The Doctors (make sure to watch it - it airs Dec. 15!!). She even got a job waitressing part-time at a really nice pub in Santa Monica.

I've been networking as much as possible - hitting up lots of jam sessions and trying to schedule lunches with the various people I know. I booked a bar gig down in Laguna Beach last week. It was fun; it felt good to get behind my own drums again. I'm also programming some drum tracks for an exercise video that my friend Vinnie is scoring. My friend Serj is putting together a music library for Universal Music Group and he asked me to contribute. There is other big news regarding Serj but he asked me to stay quiet so you're gonna have to wait. ;-)

Two of my drumkits made it here relatively unscathed. My 20" Yamaha Recording Custom kick drum got banged-up pretty good...the bearing edge on the resonant side has a nice dent in it. I can't begin to describe how angry I am at USPS for this. Luckily it seemed to tune-up ok and it sounds fine. I haven't shipped my Ludwigs yet and now I'm super-paranoid.

I still need to fine a rehearsal space...it's too expensive to get one on my own so I'm in a holding pattern until I can find some people to share a room with.

In a nutshell I'm starting over again, and it ain't easy. I was in Boston for 12 years and during that time I amassed a very large network of musicians, friends, and colleagues. It took me all of those 12 years to build that network, and here I am at 34 trying to do it again.

I just hope I can get myself connected and working consistently before I'm over the hill. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment